Friday, December 5, 2014

Reality of Working with Young People

Here are some thoughts Jess had after our Nov. 20th meeting...


I thought it was a very productive evening- and a great opportunity to share.  One of the ideas that stuck with me is that there is so often a distance between our expectations/hope and the reality of working with young people. 

The theme generation was hard- my students really wanted to stay at (what I felt was) a more surface level place and I wanted them to think more deeply, not because they are incapable, but because these are the things that are truly on their mind. It seemed many in the room experienced a similar situation. I definitely had to gently guide (push) my students to think a little more deeply about the ideas they were developing. I really benefitted from hearing others discuss their process and their thinking.  

I am very excited to continue thinking and developing ideas with the group!

No comments:

Post a Comment